The Gregsons shop in Warcop was opened in 1829 by Robert Atkinson and his wife Mary Gregson. After Robert’s early death Mary carried on until her brother, Richard Gregson, took over. He ran it as a general grocery store and was joined by his sons Thomas Brass Gregson and John Richardson Gregson. They added a warehouse to the shop in the 1890’s.
Goods were delivered by horse and cart but when the railway came through the Village in the 1850’s suppliers could do single drop deliveries and all the shops in the area would then divide the shipment.
After the First World War John Richardson Gregson’s sons, John Richard and Thomas joined the firm. John Richard died in 1950 and Thomas’ son Michael joined him in the shop, when Michael passed his driving test they started deliveries to the surrounding area.
The shop changed from counter sales to self service in 1974 when Michael joined the SPAR group, he continued with them until 1994 when it reverted to an independent grocery shop. A sub-post office was added in 1992
Michael’s son David has become the 6th. generation to work in the business.
Michael retired in December 2006 after 56 years as a shopkeeper, apart from serving two years National Service.
Michael, Valerie and David have created a Warcop History Room in what was the warehouse. The 600sq feet has been filled with Michael’s collection of local artefacts, postcards and books.